Hogskull Writers

Nelson Lynch creates a blog for the Writers of Hogskull, a suburb of Taylorville, Maryland, the hub of the known Universe. Writers include Fran Carlson, Liz Paterra, JH Williams, Dale Cathell, Susan Beverly and Dolores Pike

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Episode 17

The ogre pursed his lips stared at the two for five seconds. “OK, come on down to the kitchen and we’ll have another slice. Then you can tell me what you are doing up here in my kingdom.” He slapped his thigh and nodded at the dog. The dog spun around and ran down the kitchen.

The ogre cut two fair sized slices and one huge slice for himself. He placed them on saucers of delicate china, passed out silver forks and sat down at the kitchen table.

Red ate half of her slice in a few seconds. “This is, without a doubt, the best coconut cake I’ve ever tasted. Who made it?” She put another huge portion in her mouth.

The ogre waited until his entire saucer was clean. “I did. I baked this and the other pies yesterday. I’m glad you like it.” He turned slightly and looked at Jack.

Jack pushed his empty saucer to the center of the table. “I agree with Red. Absolutely delicious.”

The ogre smiled widely for the first time showing a perfect set of teeth. “Now, what are you two doing in my kingdom?

Red gave a small piece to the happy dog. “We are looking for Jack’s mother. Someone had made a shambles of her bedroom. She left a note saying she had been kidnapped by the,” Red paused and looked at the ceiling, “the ogre. We assumed you climbed down the beanstalk and took Jack’s mother back to your castle.”

“Why would I want to kidnap her?” He looked at Jack. “Believe me, I did not kidnap your mother.”

Jack gave a very brief nod. “If you didn’t kidnap her, who did?” Jack opened his backpack looking for a handkerchief.

The ogre’s face darkened. He reached over and took the Australian beer from Jack’s backpack. “What do we have here? I had ten cases of Australian beer stolen from my pantry last week. So now I have caught the two thieves.” He nodded at the dogs and slapped table. Both heads began snarling viscously and moved to within a foot of Jack’s chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home