Hogskull Writers

Nelson Lynch creates a blog for the Writers of Hogskull, a suburb of Taylorville, Maryland, the hub of the known Universe. Writers include Fran Carlson, Liz Paterra, JH Williams, Dale Cathell, Susan Beverly and Dolores Pike

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Episode 11

One of those magic beans sprouted and now look how much it’s grown.”

Jack backed up a few steps and looked upward. “It is a bean plant. Look how the stem spirals as it goes up. I wonder what at the top.”

Red leaned against the house, keeping her eyes upward. “I’m not sure but I don’t think it’s Cinderella. I vaguely remember grandmom mentioning an ogre that lived in the clouds.”

Jack gave a brief nod and turned toward the house. He walked into the kitchen, placed the six pac on the counter and tip-toed to his mother bedroom. The bedroom was in shambles; the mattress overturned, bureau drawers on the floor, closet door on one hinge and feathers from a ripped pillow were everywhere.

Red stopped at the threshold. “Holy three men in a tub, what happened here? It looks like the work of the big bad wolf.” Her eyes stopped at the bureau. “There’s a note on the bureau.” She picked it up and walked to the window for more light. She began reading the note. “Jac, my dere son. A horible ogar has kidnapped me. He wants his gooce back. Please hury. You know how these ogars are. They like yung good looking women.” Red gave Jack a wrinkled smile. “I think your mom is stretching the truth a bit about young and good looking.”

Jack ignored her sarcastic comment. “I’ve got to rescue my poor defenseless mom from the ogre.” He paused a few seconds wiping his forehead. “What goose does he want? I don’t have a goose.”

Red turned around and walked outside to the bean plant followed by Jack. “I know what he wants. It’s the goose that lays the golden eggs. The ogre has either lost it, the goose flew away or someone stole it.”

Jack walked around the thick stem. “I wonder who has the goose. I need it to get my mother back.”

Red thought for a few seconds. “We have to climb up to the top and find the goose. Do you realize how much a gold goose egg is worth? I’m going in and pack us a lunch.” She yelled over her shoulder. “Then we are going to climb the beanstalk and find our fortune in golden eggs.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home